Smile

Mar 24, 2013

Spinach stalks soup... thin n clear

Are you among those who throw away the stalks leftover after using spinach leaves from a pretty good bunch? I sure was one like that but not anymore... yes i make the best and tastiest use of it. I try to use most of them in the gravy if it involves blending as I feel it all blends together nice and smooth. But in case when I am into sauteing or doing some stir fry I never feel like adding the stalks. Its just that I dont feel like adding them in. I was wasting all the stalks until the day my mil told me not to and use it in some kind of soups. She told me that it had all the nutrients that the leaves would have so why waste it. This gave me the idea to make this soup. 

My elder kid is a little fussy when eating spinach gravies. Its not that he doesnt eat but I am pretty sure he doesnt like it and eat it for the sake of eating. So the no-stalkwasting  business gave me a simple idea of a clear soup. Clear soup is my kids favorite and they drink loads of it. So there we were, both in the same happy boat this time.

I threw the usual ingredients that go in a soup and loved the outcome. Now happy that nutrients are getting in more without any fussy or funny faces




Serves... 2-3 ppl
Serve option... Hot 

This is what u'll need....

Spinach leaves - 10-15 nos
Spinach stalks - 1 cup
Garlic - 3 cloves
Onion - 1 small
Pepper to taste
Salt to taste
Butter - optional

Here is the stir....
  • Wash and rinse spinach leaves and toss them in a pressure cooker
  • Cut the spinach stalks roughly into 1 inch pieces and give them a good wash. Toss them into the pressure cooker too
  • Chop onions into long thin slices. Peel and crush garlic and toss everything in. Pour in water, I use 2 cups or a little more sometimes. Sprinkle little salt and cover the pressure cooker. Let it blow 6-7 whistles. Now turn off the flame and the pressure go off

  • Transfer the contents into a serving bowl. Serve a little spinach leaves in each serving for a beautiful look. Add a very tiny bit of butter on top to give a glossy and inviting look . Add salt and pepper to suit your taste
  • When serving kids, stalks might not be entertained by them so you can always pour the water from the top to serve the kids first so that it really really clear for them except for a few leaves for the color

Note:
  • Butter is optional. I omit when it is for adults but add when serving for my kids
  • Wash stalks carefully as they tend to hold more dirt than leaves

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nirmala, thanks for the recipe! like the clear soup :)
    my mom used to say not to keep a leftover of cooked spinach. Must consume it within e.g. 2-3 hrs. Do you know why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12/1/18

    Greetings! I've been following your web site for some time now and finally
    got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Houston Tx!

    Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails